(647) 692-7225 Toll free: 1.888.926.7249 firstname.lastname@example.org
CANADA EMERGENCY RESPONSE BENEFIT (CERB)
CERB, a new program that was announced by the Canadian federal government on March 18, 2020. The temporary income support program objective is to cover those individuals that are not covered for employment insurance (EI) under traditional employment insurance program.
The applications will be accepted staring April 6, 2020 (Monday).
- Who are quarantined or sick with COVID-19;
- Who are taking care of a family member who is sick with COVID-19;
- Parents with children who require care or supervision due to school closures, and are unable to earn employment income;
- You have been let go from your job or your hours have been reduced to zero;
- Wage earners and self-employed individuals, including contract workers, who are not eligible for conventional EI benefits.
The individual has to be an “eligible worker”, which means that they must be:
- At least 15 years of age;
- Canadian resident;
- For 2019 or in the 12-month period preceding
the day on which they make an application had a total income of at least $5,000 from
- certain EI benefits (maternity and parental benefits); and
- allowances, money or other benefits paid to the person under a provincial plan because of pregnancy or in respect of the care by the person of one or more of their new-born children or one or more children placed with them for the purpose of adoption.
Must Cease to Work
- For reasons related to COVID-19 for at least 14 consecutive days within the four-week period in respect of which they apply for the payment.
- Up to $2,000 per month ($500 a week for up to 16 weeks)
- These payments are not subject to the law relating to bankruptcy or insolvency and are not garnishable.
How to Apply
- The portal will be launched on April 6, 2020 on CRA My Account;
- You can also apply over the phone with an automated phone service 1-800-959-2019. You will need your Social Insurance Number and postal code to verify your identity;
- Apply for any 4 week within the period beginning March 15, 2020 and ending on October 3, 2020;
- Payment will be processed within 3 business days for direct deposit or 10 business days by cheque.
- The CRA has set up specific days for you to apply either by phone or online. Please use the following guidelines:
|Day to apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit|
|If you were born in the month of||Apply for CERB on||Your best day to apply|
|January, February or March||Mondays||April 6|
|April, May, or June||Tuesdays||April 7|
|July, August, or September||Wednesdays||April 8|
|October, November, or December||Thursdays||April 9|
|Any month||Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays|
The information above is for educational purposes only. As it is impossible to include all situations, circumstances and exceptions in a newsletter such as this, a further review should be done by a qualified professional.
No individual or organization involved in either the preparation or distribution of this letter accepts any contractual, tortious, or any other form of liability for its contents or for any consequences arising from its use.